I’ve been wanting to make this for a long time, but I didn’t want to make just any ole basic lava cake. I had to figure out a way to spruce it up and give it some pizazz. What better way to spruce up a dessert than by adding a little Grand Marnier liquor to the mix? That’s what I’m talkin’ about!
This cake has a little Grand Marnier as part of the lava center, but the real flavor comes with serving a Grand Marnier whipped cream on the side.
Are you ready to get started? Let’s go!
Grand Marnier Chocolate Lava Cake
For the Cake
- 1 1/2 Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bars (I used Ghirardelli)
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp. of Grand Marnier
Ingredients for the Grand Marnier Whipped Cream
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1 oz. of Grand Marnier
- 1/4 cup of powdered sugar
For the Cake
- To make centers, melt 2 ounces of chocolate (1/2 a baking bar) and cream in double boiler. Whisk gently to blend. Pour in Grand Marnier and mix well. Refrigerate about 2 hours or until firm. Form into 6 balls; refrigerate until needed. (Don’t make balls too terribly large, otherwise your cake will end up very hollow once you cut into it).
- To make cake, heat oven to 400Â°F. Spray six 4-ounce custard cups with cooking spray. Melt 4 ounces of chocolate (1 baking bar) and butter in double boiler or microwave; whisk gently to blend. With an electric mixer, whisk eggs, yolks, sugar, and vanilla on high speed about 5 minutes or until thick and light. Fold melted chocolate mixture and flour into egg mixture just until combined. Spoon cake batter into glass custard cups. Place a chocolate ball in the middle of each cup and make sure it sinks to the center and has a light covering of your cake batter (this will seal it in the center).
- Bake about 15 minutes or until cake is firm to the touch. Let it sit out of the oven for about 5 minutes. Run a small, sharp knife around inside of each custard cup, place a plate on top, invert and remove cup. Garnish with powdered sugar and a dollop of Grand Marnier whipped cream on the side or on top (some orange zest and vanilla ice cream is always nice too!)
Directions for the whipped cream
- Blend all ingredients with a hand mixer or electric blender until thick and fluffy. Serve and enjoy!